Iowa  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/16/13, 9:59 am

My daughter and her boyfriend of five years were loving together and have a three year old daughter. 8 months ago he came home and told my daughter that he had another girlfriend and wanted her and his daughter gone by the next day. They came and lived with me on our farm in iowa. My daughter was allowing him too have visitation every two weeks for the past six months. During that time her daughter started doing things such as grinding her teeth and picking at herself. She even pulled out her toenail. After the last visit 1 1/2 months ago her daughter suddenly crawled on top of her and said lets make daughter was horrified but held her composure...she also told her mother that when she was at her fathers house she saw two girls kissing each other on the daughter did not allow any more visitation and has since had her daughter in therapy. Since she has not been going to her fathers the behaviors are slowly stopping. She no longer grinds her teeth and the picking is minimal . Yesterday she recieved a court order that her ex is sueing her for full custody. He also has not paid any child support. He has a criminal record which involves drugs and he is also on the sex offender registry. My daughter has told him that he can see their daughter but it had to be at her house and without the girlfriend. He refused. Do we need a lawyer? The money just isn't there for one . If we collect all the documentation of his record and the text messages he has sent along with the ones his girlfriend has sent which are very crude, can she represent herself? Or is there a good chance he will obtain custody? Help? Court is scheduled for may 28th.

We reside in iowa and he lives in a very bad area of Omaha ne. What are the laws?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search