Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

My divorce decree states that I will hold all the children's passport. (Primarily because the ex is a potential deportee). The ex's lawyer has sent a letter stating she, the lawyer, is holding the passports until certain (contested) material property is returned to her client. Do I need to file a separate contempt motion against the lawyer or can she be called in the contempt motion against my ex for not releasing the children's passport? I have a letter this lawyer wrote to my lawyer admitting that she is holding the passport.

Asked on 9/27/13, 11:07 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your attorney ought to file a motion for rule to show cause. It is your former spouse's obligation to provide the passport not his attorney's so you can either do that or obtain duplicate passports.

Read more
Answered on 9/28/13, 9:19 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now