Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

Giving up Parental Rights

My daughters biological father informed me that he is tired of paying child support and is terminating his rights. Can he do that when he still owes $45,000 in back child support? Would my current husband have to adopt her in order for him to do that? He has no custody rights to the child, however custody was established in Texas, but Child support is based out of Iowa.Is it possible for him to do this without my consent?

Asked on 1/04/06, 1:35 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Giving up Parental Rights

He does not have that option under Iowa law. The only way he can shed his parental rights and the obligation to pay support is if your present husband adopts the child or his parental rights get terminated by order of court (and this hardly ever happens unless he's a hopeless drug addict who is in prison)-and that won't help him with the arrearage. It's not a nice message for him to be sending his child either.

Read more
Answered on 1/04/06, 2:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now