Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

Ordered to go to Jackson Recovery Women and Children's Center in Sioux City, Iowa during family treatment court by the judge. I have two daughters ages 8yrs and 7 months. My oldest daughter has been staying with her dad because of the DHS. Until July, she had never spent more than a day with her dad or away from me at all. This has been very traumatic for her and I want her to come to the women's and children's center with me. I have a lawyer that I had to give a 7,500 dollar retainer fee to and he hasn't done a single thing to help me out..my daughters gaurdian ad litem/lawyer is trying to refuse to let her come with me because she's in shcool at her dad's house but i want her with me and she wants to be with me, i don't know what to do.

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

I don't know as there's a legal question there. It seems as if you have both a criminal case and a CINA case. I can tell you that the guardian ad litem may have good reasons for what he or she is advocating and maybe you need to concentrate on your recovery because, as I'm sure you know, you can't take care of anyone unless you take care of yourself first.

Lana Luhring Laird & Luhring

If you can go to treatment with the youngest child ... do it immediately. Delaying or not completing treatment will not get the children returned to you. Go immediately and address your issues. The juvenile court has a responsibility to work to reunited you with your older child. So if you return clean and sober then they can work to get your 8 year old back in your home ... don't delay.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa