Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

If my sons father and I split up but have not gone to court to set up custody can I legally move out of the state of Iowa to Texas or Washington?

Asked on 8/02/13, 10:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If there is no custody and support agreement your rights are as good as his. But if there is legal action pending and you flee the state it could create problems for you. Likewise if your intent is to spirit the child out of state you could be the subject of a habeas corpus action and have to bring the child back from wherever you went to.

Read more
Answered on 8/02/13, 11:20 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now