Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

My wife and I were married in Iowa 7 years ago, but were not residents of the state then and have not lived there since. We currently live in NYC but are still carrying Texas driver's licenses from living there a year ago.

Is it possible for us to file for divorce in Iowa given that we were married there?

Asked on 7/17/13, 8:52 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The answer to that is no. At least one party has to establish residency to obtain a dissolution in Iowa. If you are in the military you can obtain a dissolution in your military home of record which is your legal residence. Of course there's the old standby Reno divorce and it only requires a six week stay in Nevada to establish residency for the purpose of obtaining a dissolution.

Read more
Answered on 7/17/13, 9:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now