Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

My wife and I were married in Iowa 7 years ago, but were not residents of the state then and have not lived there since. We currently live in NYC but are still carrying Texas driver's licenses from living there a year ago.

Is it possible for us to file for divorce in Iowa given that we were married there?

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

The answer to that is no. At least one party has to establish residency to obtain a dissolution in Iowa. If you are in the military you can obtain a dissolution in your military home of record which is your legal residence. Of course there's the old standby Reno divorce and it only requires a six week stay in Nevada to establish residency for the purpose of obtaining a dissolution.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa