Legal Question in Family Law in Iowa

Two years ago, I left my husband. We are still legally married with two children involved, a 5 year old and a 2 year old. I recently lost my job and have been given the opportunity to move closer to my family, still of which is in the same state both I and the father reside in (Iowa), just an hour and half away from him though. I need to do this. It will help me out financially, along with family support, but also so I can go back to school to further my education for better stability for both myself and my children. Currently, the father and I have a written agreement initiated by myself, alternating visitation by every other week. One week with me, one week with the father. My issue arises with where to go from here. Should I make this move closer to my family as I have no family support where I am currently living, or not to. I don't want to lose the time I have with my children. If I move back, March 9th is Kindergarten round up, to which I plan on enrolling my son. Come time for school to start and with our current visitation agreement, how do I go about starting my son in school, without his father running off with my children. Him and his mother have done this is the past with me, and this is my biggest fear. But for the courts to side with me for custody over the children, I really need this financial support I'd get from this move, as the children's father lives with his mother and makes very good money, and they would easily see him as the better suitable parent because of this. I currently rent, and am living paycheck to paycheck. I just want a better life for myself and my kids, without sacrificing my time with children.

Robert Luedeman solo practitioner

I can't tell you how to make life decisions. If there's no custody and support order in place from a court your rights are as good as his.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Iowa