Iowa  |  Telecomm Law

Written Agreements in the face of ownership transfers

At the beginning of 2000, I entered into a one page 2- year WRITTEN AGREEMENT to host the Morning Show for a radio station. The terms of the deal were all outlined. (including salary, hours, duties and a non-compete clause) The company I signed with honored this agreement to a T. Now, the station has been sold to a new broadcasting group. The new owners have an LMA (Limited marketing agreement) pending FCC approval later this year. The new company has a reputation for being unscrupulous to personnel and it is my feeling that most of the staff will be let go

shortly. The written agreement is with the call letters of the STATION, rather than any specific company.

If the new owners should choose to relieve me of my duties or attempt to reduce my salary, do I have any

legal recourse against them? As there is a non- compete clause, I am assuming that they must honor

ALL of the terms or NONE of them. Should they choose

to let me go before Feb 1rst of next year, are they required to buy out my remaining agreement?