Legal Question in Workers Comp in Iowa

fired after injured on the job

i was fired while on light duty at work after being injured on the job. i went to get unemployment but was denied because i was unable to work with injury. contacted my employer and am now on medical leave but still fired

Stephen Lombardi Lombardi Law Firm

Re: fired after injured on the job

In Iowa it's illegal to fire an employee just because they reported a work injury, but proving "just because" is harder than you might think. No employer, well, very few, are stupid enough to say, "Hey you filed for work comp so I'm going to fire you!". Not when they can fire you because they don't like your personality, or the way you dress or (make up just about any other reason and insert). You get the picture. What did they say was the reason in the unemployment hearing? You will be able to reapply for unemployment after you've been released back to work. Call me if you want to talk about it.

More Workers' Compensation Law questions and answers in Iowa

Workers' Compensation Law Legal Forms