Kansas  |  Credit and Debt Law

Identity fraud

Are ambulance companies supposed to ask for identification when they respond to a call? I have a relative that I don't speak to that called an ambulance. She gave them a phony name and told them to send the bill to my husband. We became aware of this matter when a collection agency called us. We refused to pay and now this bill is on my husband's credit report. This relative had no permission from us to do this. I thought that emergency rooms asked for photo ID. I'm I wrong?

Aimee

Answered on: 6/22/05, 8:02 am by Roger Johnson

Re: Identity fraud

Based on the facts submitted in your inquiry and unless your husband has a legal obligation to support this "relative" which was not disclosed, your husband is not responsible to pay the amount in controversy.

You may have a claim against the collection agency for damages, including those arising under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.

You should consult with an attorney who is familiar with this area of the law.

Roger D. Johnson, P.C. 3705 Kipling St., Suite 208 Wheat Ridge, CO 80033-5792