Kansas  |  Bankruptcy

Legal Question

Asked on: 2/06/11, 10:25 am

I have a judgement agasinst me from a collection company for credit card debt. They tried to sieze money from my checking account but there isn't anything there.

I'm sixsty two years old and haven't been able to find a job in three years so my credit is already shot.

Can they seize my car?

Will bankruptcy negate the judgement?

2 Answers

Answered on: 2/07/11, 11:44 am by Anthony Smith

Unless the debt was secured by your automobile, the judgment creditor will not likely be able to seize your vehicle. They may be able to bring you to court (called a Hearing In Aid) to have you tell them under oath about what assets you have. From that information they may be able to find a way to get their money.

If you file for bankruptcy, it will stop any collection actions, at least temporarily. If the debt is discharged in the bankruptcy, the creditor cannot try to collect in in the future.

Good luck

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

LawSmith P.O. Box 2336 Lee's Summit, MO 64063

Other answers from this attorney

Answered on: 2/07/11, 7:49 pm by Adam Mack

Unless the debt you owe was secured by your car the credit card company would find it difficult, if not impossible, to ever be able to take your car. Also, it is a common misconception that a judgement cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. Bankruptcy can and often does discharge judgments.

However, for me to give you a thorough answer I would want to learn a little more about your situation. If you would like to talk more about your situation please contact me at (785)274-9040 or you can email me from my office's contact page at www.kansasjustice.com/bankruptcy. The consultation would be completely free.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Mack & Associates LLC 2850 SW Mission Woods Drive Topeka, KS 66614-5616

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

115 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search