Kansas  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 5/15/07, 10:59 am

alimony claims

My father signed a document, without benefit of a lawyer, to provide my mom $700 a month alimony until either person died or my mom remarried or lived with someone. She has never ''gone after'' the money before, because my father has had his shares of financial ups and down through the years. Now she is going after the money since he and his wife have purchased a home. The money they used to buy the home was my dad's wife's money, he only gets a small social security sum each month. The document was signed over 15 years ago, if not more. How vaild is this settlement, can she lay claim to it now, and how can my dad protect his home (which is the only thing my folks really have to depend on for their retirement)? My mom received the house and all belonging when they divorced. My dad kept only his own personal items. She has since sold that house and bought and sold another one. What can my dad and his wife do to protect their very limited assets?

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search