Kansas  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 12/03/03, 3:23 pm


My son's wife left 7 yrs ago never to be seen or heard from again. How does he go about getting a divorce from her if he doesn't know where she is?

1 Answer

Answered on: 12/04/03, 9:58 pm by James Peter

Re: Divorce

Provided your son resides in and files for his divorce in the state of Kansas, Kansas Law allows for service by publication. Your son's divorce would be filed the same as any divorce. Through the use of an additional affidavit setting forth that his spouses location is unknown, he would be permitted to serve her notice of the divorce through publication in a qualified newspaper. Actual personal service is not necessary to obtain a divorce. Other considerations are necessary if he is attempting to reclaim personal property his wife may have left with or to make orders pertaining to custody and support of any minor children if any exist from the marriage.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Law Office of James A. Peter 404 E. Central Wichita, KS 67202

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

130 Answers given in the last few hours.

8627 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search