Legal Question in Family Law in Kansas

Hi I was wanting to know what would need to be done if my daughter's dad/sperm donor wants to sign over his rights for my daughter. What would we need to do and what process would we need to go about and take to get this process done? Please help me!

Asked on 1/12/11, 8:44 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Anthony Smith LawSmith
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

He can relinquish his rights to the child, but may be limited in his ability to be released from his responsibilitiies. The easiet way is for a man to adopt the child. This would extinguish both the biological Dad's rights and responsibilities. If that is not possble, you and he can enter into an agreement wherein you agree to forever reimburse him if the State (or anyone else ) comes to him for support or medical bills for the child, in exchange for him relinquishing his rights. This would not absolutely free him from claims for support/medical care, but would give him an out (you) to get reimbursed for anything he is made to pay. this woudl lessen the chance that this man would ever seek custody or visitaiton. However, such greements may not be honored in all states. Take that into consideration if you ever move before the child turns 18.

You should be able to find an attorney in your area that would draft such an agreement for you.

Good luck

Read more
Answered on 1/21/11, 2:10 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kansas

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now