Kansas  |  Civil Litigation

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/13/11, 7:38 am

My boyfriend asked me to marry him and gave me an engagement ring. I later found out that it was the same ring which he married his ex-wife with. Our relationship is on the rocks and he said that he wanted his ring back. I told him he was not going to get it back since he had given it to me and everyone knew he had given it to me. He said he would hire a lawyer and take me to court to get it back. My question is can he legally make me give it back to him? No prenuptial agreement has been signed.

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/13/11, 9:17 am by Tim Elliott

Ordinarily, when an engagement is broken the donor is entitled to return of the engagement ring, and fault as to who broke the engagement is not relevant. Heiman v. Parish, 262 Kan. 926, 942 P2d 631 (1997).

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Elliott Law Firm, L.C., Attorneys At Law P.O. Box 27268 Shawnee Mission, KS 66225

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

133 Answers given in the last few hours.

8661 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search