Kansas  |  Employment Law

Vacation during merger

My company is based in KS, but has employees in several states. We're in the process of a merger, and just got an e-mail yesterday saying everyone has to use their vacation time within the next 45 days or we'll lose it. Many are unable to do this, or had vacations approved for later. Our current company doesn't want to ''cash-out'' the vacation time if people aren't able to use it. They have also recently been known to try to get out of paying for accrued PTO to those who have resigned, although our procedures manual clearly states they will.

Do we have any legal rights? Is the law based on where the company is headquartered, or where the individual employee works? We have 1500 employees in 23 states, so it could get complicated.

Answered on: 4/08/09, 11:36 am by Michael Shultz

Re: Vacation during merger

This does raise some serious, though complicated, issues under the Kansas Wage Payment Act. You can find information on this at fair-wage-overtime-law.com

I certainly think you have a leg to stand on, but no one can prmise results.

I would be happy to discuss this matter with you.

Michael Shultz

Law Firm of Michael M. Shultz, P.A. 7270 West 98th Terrrace, Suite 220 Overland Park, KS 66212