Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

My girlfriend is pregnant. She lives with her parents,however, she is over 18. Her parents say they are going to sue me (the father) for child support when the baby is born. My girlfriend says she isn't going to go along with this. I am under the understanding only the biological mother of the child has the right to come after me for child support. Will her parents have a case against me? If so on what grounds?

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

Her parents can't intervene but the state can, and will, if she is receiving public benefits, for instance, a medical card for the baby, to help offset the cost.

Regardless, that's your child, so you need to pay support from the day it's born.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky