Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

Is there a legal age in which a youth can babysit a younger child?

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office

If there is, I am not aware of it. I believe maturity and age are both factors in the equation, as well as duration of time the children are left alone, and age of the younger child.

If you intend to leave a younger child in the care of another minor, however, I would suggest that the older child attend a babysitting training class to become a certified babysitter. If you have a local YMCA, they often offer the American Red Cross Babysitting course, for children ages 11-17. A First Aid/Infant and Child CPR course would be good idea as well.

If the older child has been well-prepared through certification courses (and with regular updates to those courses), as well as armed with emergency phone numbers, etc., it would be difficult for anyone to argue that the situation was not safe for the younger child, even if an emergency occurred.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky