Legal Question in Family Law in Kentucky

parental rights

I have been raising my daughter who is 12 getting read to turn 13 myself when she turned 5 he had to pay child support but over the years has failed to stay steady and they keep letting him off. What can I do to get the rights signed over so my husband can adopt her? He always brings up visitation in court but never follows through?

Gregory Napier Troutman & Napier, PLLC

Re: parental rights

You only have two options: get the dad to voluntarily terminate his parental rights or file an action for involuntary termination. Either of these processes requires precise compliance with the laws and so it is not something to do without an attorney. Where getting a divorce is like setting your own broken leg (it can be done but it will hurt like crazy and you'll never be the same), termination and adoption would be like doing brain surgery on yourself.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Kentucky