Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Kentucky

Do California litigants (whose action was filed in California) need to obtain Commissions from the CA Court first before subpoenaing medical records of opposing party in Kentucky? Or can they just subpoena the medical records with the opposing party's signed authorization?

What is the procedure to obtain the out-of-state medical records in Kentucky?

Asked on 10/18/10, 11:37 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Andrea Welker Welker Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you have a signed release from the individual whose records you are trying to obtain, which complies with HIPAA, just send a letter to the provider with that release, no subpoena required. Otherwise, you would send a subpoena duces tecum, and ask the records custodian to supply the records in lieu of a deposition.

In Kentucky, our subpoenas are no longer issued by the court clerk for civil cases, just signed by the attorney. So, I'm sure any Kentucky providers will accept whatever subpoena form California uses with your case information.

Read more
Answered on 10/23/10, 12:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Kentucky

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now