Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

i have been divorced for 5yrs, i have 2 children, my ex husband and i have joint custody, i am domicilary parent. my youngest daughter and i were in an automobile accident a year ago and i am now being that her settlement will be issued to her father. WHY?

she has not seen him in over a year, nor has she spoken to him in over 6months, he does pay child support faithfully each month. why does he get the check

Robert Louque The Louque Law Firm, L.L.C.

It shouldn't belong to either of you. The proper procedure would be to have a tutor appointed and have the money designated for the benefit of the child somehow.

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

What I believe is you misunderstood. As joint custodians of the child, the check would be made payable to both of you as natural tutors of the child.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana