Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Louisiana


an ex-boyfriend gave me money ($5000) to purchase a car my cousin was selling. We just had a verbal agreement that I would pay him monthly(no set amount). I've paid him every month with checks for various amounts ranging from $30-1000 dollars. We had no written/legal document signed everything was verbal. He is now saying he is going to sue me. What can I do?

Asked on 7/08/09, 9:01 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: money

Not much. Wait to be sued. Pay it off if you can. Without terms of payment, he may have trouble getting a judgment against you, even though you owe him some money.

Read more
Answered on 7/09/09, 7:31 am
Raleigh Ohlmeyer Ohlmeyer & Ohlmeyer
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: money

Do you have receipts for the money you already paid him? If not, make sure you get them in the future along with an acknowledgment of payments already received.

Read more
Answered on 7/11/09, 4:57 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now