Louisiana  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 10/17/06, 6:03 pm

Resumption of Maiden Name Legal?

I've been divorced one year. I was married and divorced in Louisiana. I now live in Oklahoma. I want to resume using my maiden name as my legal name. There is not a clause in my divorce decree stating my wish to change my name. What do I have to do to get this done? I can't afford to hire an attorney just to have my name changed. Louisiana statutes say that a woman's maiden name is her legal name for the rest of her life--even when she's married. I'm not really sure what Oklahoma law says about it. But since I was married and divorced in LA would Oklahoma law even come into play in this situation? I'm really confused about this. I guess my question is this: how can I get my name changed without spending a fortune for an attorney.

Thanks for your help.

1 Answer

Answered on: 10/18/06, 10:07 am by Steve LeBlanc

Re: Resumption of Maiden Name Legal?

You don't need an attorney. Under La. Civil Code Art. 100 "Marriage does not change the name of either spouse." You should be able to find this article on the internet without any problem.It's just a custom to take the husband's name. Go to the driver's license and social security offices and get new documents with your maiden name. Yours, Steve

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC) 8708 Jefferson Hwy., Ste. B Baton Rouge, LA 70809-2233

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search