Legal Question in Criminal Law in Louisiana

theft over 500 dollars

my boyfriend was convicted of theft over 500 dollars . his fine is 5000 dollars. I read that the max fine can be no more than 3000 dollars. is that true? what can i do about it if its wrong?

Asked on 7/01/09, 8:45 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Raleigh Ohlmeyer Ohlmeyer & Ohlmeyer
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: theft over 500 dollars

You are correct. The statute specifically states that the maximum fine is $3000. The question is, were there multiple counts? I would suggest you point this out to his attorney and have him request to have the sentence amended to conform to the statute.

Raleigh Ohlmeyer III

[email protected]

Read more
Answered on 7/11/09, 5:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now