Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

child support

in my friend's divorce papers (did not go in front of a judge- had an agreement) that he would pay $800.00 a month for 3 kids and insurance. Now the oldest is 19, the middle is 17 and the youngest is 16. The 17 yr. old lives now at Job Corp in Crossville, La. comes home (mothers house) on weekends. His youngest just got back from Boot Camp in Pineville, La.

Question - Can his child support be lowered now that the 17 yr old lives at the Job Corp Facility and that the 16 yr old is not in school? Please Reply - Thank you

Andrew Casanave Andrew M. Casanave

Re: child support

Yes. He should file to have support recalculated or even to obtain custody of the 16 year old.

David Hesser Law Offices of David C. Hesser

Re: child support

If the 17 year old is no longer living in the home of the parent owed support and that parent is not paying the child's expenses then you have an argument to reduce the support. However, since the child comes home on the weekends, I doubt that the judge would reduce the support.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana