Legal Question in Family Law in Louisiana

can my x hide my kids from me?

I have joint custody of my children with my x wife. Her adress is no longer current and she will not give me the new one. What can I do?

Asked on 8/20/04, 3:20 pm

2 Answers from Attorneys

Hardy Parkerson Retired Attorney; now Law Professor
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: can my x hide my kids from me?

Dear LawGuru Friend,

You are being done wrong! You have a right to know where your children are being kept. You need to take her back to court to see if you can't get some justice, such as: (1) Taking joint custody away from her, or (2) Having the judge instruct her that she must keep you notified of her and the children's address when she has them. If the judge does so instruct her, then she is in big trouble if she does that again. She is being totally unreasonable, and the court will not tolerate such behavior; and you should not either. If you do not know where you can find her to serve her with papers, you might have to file the papers in advance and have the sheriff standing by to serve them on her the next time she shows up to get the kids for her visitation/joint custody, or when she returns them to you for your visitation/joint custody. Don't tolerate her behavior! Straighten her our now, lest you be tormented by her for years to come! Best of luck!


Hardy Parkerson, Atty.

Lake Charles, LA

Read more
Answered on 8/21/04, 7:14 pm
Steve LeBlanc Steve LeBlanc, Ltd., (APLC)
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: can my x hide my kids from me?

Hire a private investigator to get her address then file a contempt rule on her since you have not been able to have your visitation.

Read more
Answered on 8/20/04, 3:44 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now