Louisiana  |  Family Law

My younger brother has been living with me for the past couple of months in the state of La our mother feels it to be in his best interest to maintain this situation for the forseeible future is temporary guardianship the best course of action in this instance?

Answered on: 5/10/13, 7:53 am by Adam Lambert

I assume your brother is a minor. If so, the easier (and less expensive) route may be to simply have your mother sign over a Power of Attorney giving you authority to make decisions for the child's welfare, including educational and medical decisions. Just about any lawyer or notary can draft one for you. The cost would be MUCH less than seeking a Judgment through the Court and it would be MUCH faster. If you are near the New Orleans area, you may call or email me to draft and notarize it for you. Otherwise, search the LawGuru site for an attorney near you.

The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert 3531 Plymouth Pl. New Orleans, LA 70131