Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Louisiana

small claims louisiana

i have a default judgement from small claims court in louisiana...i didn't show up because i forgot due to illness...she claimed pain and suffering and paint $150.00...she asked $3000. dollars...she got a judgement for 2,000. The clerks office said i need a notice of motion for new trial form...they don't provide the form...she owes 1 month rent $600. and tore up the place...they said with this form i can get a new date set.. do you have the form and what do i say in it...i want to counter for the $3,000. max...had to fix the place back up

Nick Pizzolatto, Jr. Pizzolatto Law Office

Re: small claims louisiana

From what you are saying, I doubt if you can still file for a new trial. I do not know the what court in which the Judgment was granted, but usually you have 7 days beginning from the day after the clerk mails the notice of Judgment exclusive of legal holidays to file for a new trial. And, you have to have grounds for the new trial. Illness would have probably allowed you a continuance, but I doubt it will allow a new trial. Just because you have a claim against her is not a good reason for a new trial. You should have counter sued in her case. You should probably simply sue her for the back rent and damages.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Louisiana

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms