Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Louisiana

I just moved and my former landlord sold my car that was only left behind for a week , can I press charges and sue him?

Asked on 11/11/13, 8:43 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Adam Lambert The Law Office of Adam S. Lambert
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your landlord does not have the right to sell your property and the correct course of action for a landlord to take if a car is left on their property is to call the city and have it towed as an abandoned vehicle. He doesn't gain ownership of it just because you left it there. You can press charges criminally for theft of a motor vehicle (or whatever the police and DA charge him with) and/or sue him civilly for conversion (it is the civil version of theft) of your vehicle. If the car was worth less than $5,000.00, you can sue in small claims court without the need to hire an attorney. Good luck.

Read more
Answered on 11/14/13, 12:13 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Louisiana

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now