Louisiana  |  Wills and Trusts

succcesion

My father died 20 yrs ago and I was named as executri of his estate. My mother is still alive and so are my brother and sister. I don't think that we ever opened succesion but I cannot remember....It was in Covington, La

Answered on: 7/02/09, 10:27 am by Perry Staub

Re: succcesion

There are many variables as to how this succession might actually unfold that you need to discuss with a lawyer, but it is not too late for you to open and close the succession. In fact, you will like need to do so in order to address possible title problems with real estate and other assets. If you suspect that a succession might have been opened but you simply do not recall, you could contact the St. Tammany Parish courthouse and ask them to check and see if a succession was ever opened in your father's name. Alternatively, a law office could make this call for you and discuss any succession filing and then report back to you.

Taggart Morton 2100 Energy Centre New Orleans, LA 70163-2100