Legal Question in Technology Law in Maine

I am an independent musician. I was wondering if it was legal to remix a song "One - Metallica" and sell it. I know that it is illegal to reproduce a song, especially if it is for profit, if I am using the song in my remix. However, I am not using any of the original artists work. The song I am creating is completely made from scratch, I used no part of the original song and I was wondering if this is still legal since I am not using any part of the original song. And also could I sell it if it is legal?

Edward Hoffman Law Offices of Edward A. Hoffman

Even if you don't use any of the original recording, the composition itself is copyrighted. So are the lyrics. There may be other protected aspects of the song. I'm not sure what you're remix will include, so I can't say whether you will need permission to distribute it. But it sounds like you will.

More Computer & Technology Law questions and answers in Maine

Computer & Technology Law Legal Forms