Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

do i need an attorney?

I have never done anything wrong in my life. NO CRIMINAL RECORD. I was having a horrible day and dont know what i was thinking, but i put 270 dollars worth of clothing from JCPENNIES and got caught. I am 21 and highly value my future and my jobs. It was very unlike me. Do i need an attorney? What is most likely to happen? I am waiting to receive a court date by mail. Please tell me anything since im losing so much sleep. I cant have this on my record; it would really ruin my future.....i need help! Please give me some good news. Thankyou

Richard S. Stolker Uptown Law, LLC

Re: do i need an attorney?

Theft of property is punishable by a fine and/or prison term, so I would recommend retaining a lawyer to represent you in this case. If you have no criminal record it is unlikely (though still possible) that you would not be sentenced to serve time in jail, a lawyer would be able to investigate the facts of the case, and determine whether there is a viable defense to the charge.

Depending on the circumstances, it may be possible for a lawyer to devise a strategy that would result in no record of a conviction. That would be helpful to you in regard to future employment, credit score, etc.

If we can be of assistance, please contact this office.

Richard S. Stolker - 301.294.9500

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland