Maryland  |  Family Law

I have primary physical custody of my daughter. We live In charles county maryland. I get child support in this county. Her faither lives in prince georges county maryland. He claims he is filing for a child support reduction and custody there. Is that possible? I thought all child support/custody cases had to be handled where the childs physical residence is. Thanks so very much!

Answered on: 2/11/12, 8:25 am by Bill Wood

In a new case filing, it would be proper to file in the County where either parent resides or where the child resides. For a modification, the case should stay in the County where the existing Order was entered unless the parties and child no longer reside there.

If he files in PG County, you can file a motion to change venue back to Charles, noting the existing case and the fact that you and the child still reside there.

Law Office of William C. Wood, LLC 8289 Main Street, Suite 204 Ellicott City, MD 21043