Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Maryland

Attempting loan remodification. Currently own two homes. One of these doesn't have a mortgage on it. If this loan modification results in foreclosure or bankruptsy can this effect the home without a mortgage in anyway?

Asked on 9/19/12, 6:41 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Lawrence Holzman The Holzman Law Firm, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You should probably take the opportunity to consult with a bankruptcy attorney to go over all fo the details about your facts. Most (including myself) will meet with you for a free consultation anyway, so there's no risk.

For you, the issue is that you want to protect the asset that is free and clear. If one of your houses goes to foreclosure and there is a deficiency judgment, that lender can seek to execute on that judgment by attaching and selling the house that is free and clear.

it's not possible to give you more useful advice without a fair amount more information.

Feel free to call for a free consultation. (301/876.4393)

Read more
Answered on 9/19/12, 6:45 am
Brett Weiss Chung & Press, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

As Larry correctly noted, if there is a deficiency judgment resulting from the foreclosure, it could result in a lien being placed against your other property. And were you to file for bankruptcy, the free and clear house would likely be considered an asset of the estate and sold to pay your creditors.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/12, 10:45 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now