Maryland  |  Business Law

A customers check bounced, what do I do now?

I am a college student and seller on eBay. A customer who won one of my auctions on eBay sent a check, and I sent him the videos he won in the auction. A few weeks later, I received an envelope from my bank and a letter saying that the check had bounced and that I had been charged five dollars in fees. Included in the envelope was the check as well.

The customer has said that he would send another check, but the past several times I have emailed him I have received no response. I am now certain that he has no intention of sending the check just by my asking for it, and it has now been months since the check bounced in early October.

My question is: What action(s) should I take to compel the customer to send another check? Which legal authority handles check fraud? Since the check was sent by postal mail, does that also make it a federal crime? My hope is that once confronted with this information, the customer will honor the contract and send another check. If not, then what legal authority should I contact to have the issue resolved?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my question. I greatly appreciate it.