Legal Question in Business Law in Maryland

Will a contract protect me when working with freelance contractors overseas?

I'm working with two graphic designers overseas. One in the Netherlands and one in Poland.

I asked them both to draw up contracts to outline deadlines, quotes, and ownership rights.

I'll be paying them both by PayPal, and I know I will have Buyers Protection with them, but I'm more concerned about my rights of ownership. Does drawing up a contract with these designers mean anything?

Thomas Valkenet Young & Valkenet

A contract is something that memorializes the intentions and promises of the parties to the agreement. It is not self-enforcing, and so you must consider the "teeth" in the contract. For instance, will work-product be transmitted before payment or after? And how will disputes be resolved? Will you litigate or arbitrate overseas? Will they submit, here? And just how much do you know about your business partners? There is great risk in international agreements.

More Business Law questions and answers in Maryland

Business Law Legal Forms