Maryland  |  Civil Rights Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/14/13, 5:14 am

If a person who lives in Maryland pays a $3000.00 bail for someone in Texas and the person needs to sue the person for the money, what state should the claim be filed?

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/12/13, 2:09 pm by Cedulie Laumann

The question you ask involves something the law calls jurisdiction. There are two related questions -- one is whether a particular court has jurisdiction over the person being sued and the other whether a particular courts have a say in the subject matter. The answer depends in part on where the contract was to be performed and in part where the defendant lives/works.

Generally speaking Maryland courts will not have personal jurisdiction over someone who lives elsewhere if they have no significant contact with Maryland and the case is based on something that happened elsewhere.

Questions of personal and subject matter jurisdiction are very fact specific and not easily answered in a general online post. You may wish to either review the statutes for jurisdiction in each relevant state or contact an attorney who can personally review the facts of your particular case.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Arden Law Firm 1028 Generals Hwy Crownsville, MD 21032

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

125 Answers given in the last few hours.

8663 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search