Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

Arrested out of state

I was arrested for possesion of marijuana on vacation in Maryland. Would it be better to get a laywer in New York where I live, or in the state I was arrested?

Asked on 4/30/06, 11:24 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Steven Scheinin Steven J. Scheinin, Lawyer

Maryland Lawyer when living out of State

Most New York lawyers are not licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. You should consult with a Maryland criminal lawyer, like my self. We are fimiliar with the drug laws in Maryland, as well as defenses to arrest of out of state traverlers.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/06, 4:45 pm
Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

Re: Arrested out of state

Generally, only those attorneys licensed in Maryland are allowed to practice law in the Maryland courts. It would be better to get a Maryland lawyer. My firm specializes in minor criminal offenses such as marijuana possession, and we handle cases throughout the State of Maryland. I would be happy to discuss your case with you if you send me an email, and if you decide to do so, I can handle your case for a reasonable fee.

NOTE: The use of the website and this message does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to do so.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/06, 6:16 am
Andrew Nitzberg Andrew Nitzberg & Associates

Re: Arrested out of state

Only a Maryland lawyer can represent you in Maryland. You will be expected to engage an MD lawyer. (A NY attorney can place in for a limited purpose. In this case, this would be appropriate only if you have pre-existing probation or other criminal issues in NY or have particular confidence in your NY attorney.)

Read more
Answered on 5/03/06, 4:35 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland