Legal Question in Criminal Law in Maryland

second degree assault

Recently my husband was charged with second degree assault after being arrested for choking me. What does this mean all I know is I am to show for court as a witness. Is there jail time invovled? And what happens if I don't testify. The police did take pictures and there is a restraining order in place.

Asked on 5/27/06, 11:42 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: second degree assault

Assault 2nd carries a possible 10 year jail sentence. Whether he is realistically serving jail time depends on many factors like his past record and the nature of the alleged crime.

You may not be required to testify, and the State may not be able to prove your husband guilty, but because of the serious nature of this offense, he should hire a lawyer who can analyze all of the possibilities of this case. The judge will be reluctant to proceed before your husband has hired counsel or spoken with the Public Defender. If you have more questions or need more answers, feel free to email me at the address I have provided.

NOTE: This message and the use of do not create an attorney client relationship, nor are they intended to do so. Without first consulting with an attorney in more detail, any information given through the LawGuru service cannot be considered legal advice.

Read more
Answered on 5/28/06, 4:30 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Criminal Law questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Find a Legal Form

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now