Legal Question in DUI Law in Maryland

In the "heel to toe"walking part of the D.W.I road test,if a woman is wearing high heeled shoes,the police will teel her bto remove them before takingthe test.I was told that refusal to remove your heels will be considered the same thing as a refusual to take the test.But what if an officer had concerns about a suspect who wearing flat shoes.For example,what if a suspect was wearing a pair of flat dress shoes and had mentioned to the officer that they were too tight and/or hurting their feet?In that senario,would the officer tell the suspect to remove their shoes?And if they refused,would it carry the same result as the lady wearing high heels?

William Welch William L. Welch, III Attorney

It's unlikely that the officer would testify that way. An experienced criminal defense attorney can help you evaluate the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to go to trial. Consider seeking a confidential consultation.

Jason Cleckner Law Office of Jason Cleckner, LLC

I agree, none of this ever happens. If it does the cop is either really stupid or crazy smart. Both are unlikely (especially the 2nd one). It seems like you're talking about "refusal" of SFSTs as the same thing as refusing a breath test. They are very different, and refusing SFSTs is almost always a good idea.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Maryland