Maryland  |  Family Law

abandon

i met this lady who is married and children one of them is under 18, we like eachother very much and she does not love her husband and wants to go away with me my question is which will be the legal way to do this?

Answered on: 5/26/08, 3:20 pm by Carolyn Press

Re: abandon

You have two basic choices. The first (the "legal way") would be for the lady to divorce her husband and then go away with you. This would take some time and expense, particularly if her husband opposes the divorce and controls the family finances. The lady would have to make a decision about the child under 18 and whether she wants the child to go with her. The other choice is to simply go away together. Technically, in Maryland adultery is a crime, but I have never found any evidence that anyone has ever been prosecuted for it. The criminal penalty if anyone were convicted would be, by law, a $10.00 fine. Most likely, if you took the second choice, the husband would file for divorce on grounds of adultery and would retain custody of the child, file for child support (to be paid by the lady)and end up with a large share of marital assets.

Chung & Press. P.C. 24 Greene Street Cumberland, MD 21502-2927