Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Child support arrears

My SO was not able to pay his child support for 3 mons. He was not working. He's now back to work but she has already had papers served to sue him in court. He can not afford a lawyer. Will one be appointed for him? He has no intention of not paying, he is just trying to recover from this lapse in work. I have been supporting him with my savings. Do these circumstances mean anything? Can he show up for court without a lawyer and plead his case?

Asked on 8/21/07, 8:16 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Thomas Brown Law Office of Thomas K. Brown, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Re: Child support arrears

Certainly he can represent himself in the matter. Nothing forces him to bring a lawyer. Check with your local courthouse or bar association if they have a "pro se" project to aid those appearing by themselves.

From the MD Judiciary web site:


Maryland Volunteer Lawyer Service operates the Frederick County Pro Se Program on Tuesdays from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. Assistance is provided to "income eligible" litigants. An interpreter is available for hearing-impaired litigants. The contact person is JoAnne Hockman...

Apparently you can't list phone numbers in LawGuru. It's three-zero-one six-nine-four two-zero-two-three.

Read more
Answered on 8/21/07, 8:23 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now