Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Child Support

I have been divorced and my ex has $ 520 coming every month for 2 kids as per the divorce decree. Come July 28th one of the child will be 18 and I am already in Social Services Income. But I get charity from my family overseas about $ 3000 per month to survive. How can I stop paying her child support?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Re: Child Support

If the existing order makes you pay as a lump sum, as opposed to so much for each child, you would have to file a motion to change the amount on the basis that the older child is emancipated. But that assumes he/she is no longer in school. If he/she still has a year of high school, you have to keep paying until he/she graduates or turns 19, whichever comes first.

Joseph Laumann Law Office of Joseph Laumann, PA

Re: Child Support

In order for the child support obligation to be modified, there must be a finding, by the trial judge, that there is a material change in circumstances. This is very subjective, but in most cases a 25% change in the child support amount will suffice.

If you are interested in discussing your matter further, please contact my office for a consultation.

Steven Scheinin Steven J. Scheinin, Lawyer

Child Support

Contact a lawyer, like myself, and file for modification based on a change in circumstances. Do this now, rather than wait to the July 28th date, as it takes a couple of months to get in Court.

Alton Drew Alton Drew, LLC

Re: Child Support

I will have to review your child support order to determine when your obligations would end. Any termination or modification of the decree is by court order.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland