Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

child support levy

nj cs took over $1500.00 from my accounts, clearing me out. i am low, fixed income and they gave me no warning at all. my child turned 18 in 2007. i have two other children who are 11 & 12 & they live with me in MD. NJ sent case to MD and i filed request for hearing, but it was NJ who took the money anyway. i was left in dire straits, i'm being charged bank fees, bills are doubling up and i see no end to the snowball effect this caused. Can I sue?

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Re: child support levy

Presumably the reason NJ cs attached your account is that there was an arrearage in your child support payments. However, if under NJ law your child is emancipated, you may need to file a motion to terminate there, if it's not done automatically. If you have custody of the younger children, you are entitled to support for them from the other parent. There is no basis for a suit--your case is already in a court posture.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland