Maryland  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 6/19/13, 9:28 pm

I have a court ordered child support case in effect that is attached to our custody agreement. My ex came to me when he was laid off and asked if I could drop the child support case until he gets another job. We did not go back to court but we did both sign and have notarized a piece of paper at the Social Services office that the case was originally opened at. Did I close the child support case or just the Maryland enforcement of the child support? I just want to know if I can file for contempt of non payment because he has been working for over a year and will not pay any money saying that I dropped the case.

1 Answer

Answered on: 6/20/13, 6:43 am by Robert Sher

You can always seek child support, which, as the name suggests, is for the benefit of the child not the parents. It sounds like all you did at Social Services is agree to delay enforcement of an existing order while he was unemployed, but certainly didn't relieve him of his ongoing responsibility. I suggest you confer with a family law attorney and let him/her review the paper you signed and advise you how to proceed.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Wagshal and Sher 4824 Edgemoor Lane Bethesda, MD 20814

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search