Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland


What are my rights as a father when my 2 year old has been taken by the maternal grandparents? My girlfriend and I are living together but having problems. They say it is not a good environment. I just want to see my daughter and am being denied. I have no criminal history, work full time and go to school . I want my baby back!

Asked on 6/07/07, 9:14 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Steven Scheinin Steven J. Scheinin, Lawyer


File a petiton in Court for Custody. Your in laws do not have a greater right than you to your child. Consult with a domestic law lawyer, like myself, to discuss all your rights as a father.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/07, 2:12 pm
Alton Drew Alton Drew, LLC

Re: Custody

How did your girlfriend's parents come into custody of your daughter? Did they remove her without your permission? Ask them to return her and advise them that you will call law enforcement if they don't.

Read more
Answered on 6/07/07, 9:20 pm
Joseph Laumann Law Office of Joseph Laumann, PA

Re: Custody

while calling the police sounds like a good idea, they usually will not get involved in a civil matter without an order.

I would suggest going to get your child, as long as you are on the birth certificate, you are custodian (absent any orders to the contrary).

If you would like to discuss your matter further, please contact my office for a consultation.

Read more
Answered on 6/07/07, 9:48 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland