Maryland  |  Family Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 8/18/13, 12:14 pm

Can an estranged spouse change the locks on the house if there is constructive desertion as the reason the other spouse is not living in house with their child?

1 Answer

Answered on: 8/19/13, 8:33 am by Paula McGill

How long has the spouse gone?

Who owns the house?

Has there been a temporary order or an order issued for a limited divorce ?

The smartest thing for the estranged spouse to do is to file for a limited or absolute divorce before the locks are changed. For the spouse who left, if the locks were changed, the spouse can always call the police to see if that will result in entry. Otherwise, the only alternative is to seek court intervention.

Also licensed and practicing in Maryland

(301)678-3725 or (202)294-0435

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Attorney at Law 1100 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 200 Atlanta, GA 30309

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search