Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

husand leaves

My husband walked out 1 month ago and now refuses to pay the bills I haven't worked in 5 years and I have no money he has cut me off what can I do. Is there anything I can file at the court house to get him to pay he works for the government and makes good money.

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher

Re: husand leaves

You need to file for a limited divorce on the ground of desertion, in which you would request a court order that your husband be ordered to immediately begin paying spousal support to you. If there are minor children, you would request child support as well.

You should check with the family court in your county (at the circuit courthouse) for a referral to a pro bono (free) program so you can get the legal representation you need to do this. Or you can contact the county bar association directly for a pro bono referral.

Adele Abrams Law Office of Adele L. Abrams PC

Re: husand leaves

Yes, we could help by filing for a limited divorced based on desertion and ask for an expedited hearing to get you temporary alimony and emergency family support, plus child support (if there are minor children) and use/possession of the house. Often, we can get the judge to order the working spouse to keep paying the mortgage to avoid wasting of marital assets. Do not delay in getting help as it can still take more than a month to get before a judge. Please call us if we can help. Good luck!

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland