Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

Is it legal for me to deduct money owed to me from my ex-husband towards child expenses (1/2 of that we all agree on splitting until the ex got mad and decided to stop paying his portion on the balance leaving it to me to pay and $30 for a new birth certificate so my son can go to college because my ex refuses to give me the original copy he has) from money I owe him and his new wife? Basically I owe them $100 (they loaned to me when we were all friends), now my son lives with me (he is now 18 but this all just occurred a couple of months ago)this has caused a division between his father and I (he didn't want our son living with me). We had an agreement (I have emails where we discuss the balance, etc) stating we bought a sr. pic portrait package and agree to split the cost and the pics down the middle. Once my son moved in with me, i got an email stating they were not paying any more on the pictures and I was to give the amount of pictures equal to what they HAD paid already. Also, I have been asking my ex for my son's social security card and birth certificate (so my son can get a job and go to college) but he refuses so now I have to spend $30 to get a copy of my son's birth certificate. The amount they owe me totals slightly more than what I owe them (my ex actually owes me a lot more since he stopped helping pay medical co-pays, etc the moment my son moved in with me - and my son had some medical expenses). So can I legally send them a statement showing the amount they owe me vs the amount I owe them as a wash and be done with it? I know this sounds petty but this is the point it has gotten to over this.

Asked on 6/06/13, 11:01 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I think you're justified in setting off those expenses against your debt. As a practical matter, there isn't much they can do--I can't see a court fight over such de minimus amounts. I assume he's not paying child support since your son was living with them and is now 18.

Read more
Answered on 6/06/13, 11:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now