Legal Question in Family Law in Maryland

If I was never married to my children's father but have made a verbal agreement to have chilren live with him for school purpose but now I want them back, how long do they have to be with me before I can file for legal custody. I never filed for custody before and never had the problems I am having now. I currently have to pay him child support under a court order.

Asked on 4/12/13, 5:00 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Robert Sher Wagshal and Sher
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can file for legal custody any time. However, you will have to demonstrate a significant enough change in the circumstances that existed at the time the children went to live with their father to justify the change. Judges are reluctant to disrupt the lives of children unless the current custody situation is bad enough that it would be in the best interests of the children to transfer custody to the other parent.

Read more
Answered on 4/13/13, 10:07 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Maryland

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now